Anderson and Low Lecture

on 29/04/2012 I went to photographers gallery to see 1st Modern/Japan/Gupta/Manga Dreams exhibition at Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, Norwich.

I was told about this exhibition by my A-level tutor to check out the Manga Dreams images, I have loved the images since then and regularly keep updated on Anderson & Lows work, they have sparked the Japanese influence for me but I never acted on it till recent.

I heard they were giving a lecture at The Photographers Gallery so I instantly booked my ticket and trains, not to mention they were doing a book signing ;).

We got to The Photographers Gallery (an hour early) chilled with a tea the got my Manga Dreams book signed after a conversation they seemed flattered that I have traveled from Norwich to London for this event, I feel like i was the only person to get my book signed.

Lecture Notes

like to capture the preparation, before and after not the action of the sports, focusing on the personality on the subjects.
Early work is monochromatic.
Raw and truthful - Chinese gymnasts are over exaggerated in weston media about "cruelty" in fact they are in no pain and enjoy their training.

Identity with and without costumes.
Underwater swimmer diver horns created with dividers
Horns created with with in dividers
Athlete, Warrior project the US heroes are received different outside their army gear.

Face paint on bumper cars reflect the face paint on performers.
Surreal subjects out of place locations makes the subjects stand out.
Curves of subjects juxtapose the curves of rollercoaster
The black and and grey sky make the subjects pop from the background in the Black Sand project.
Used symmetry though the Road to 2012 series.
From City of Mines Series
Anderson mentions they make connections and takes influence from art, I could instantly make the connection between their work like the  image about to Edward Hopper.

Work exists between fantasy and  reality
Manga Dreams, youth culture, visual influence not music, anime and manga
All Manga Dreams was going to have illustrated background.

No comments:

Post a Comment