Crit session with photographers

We had a few photographers (uni's friends) who have come in before to give a lecture come in to look at out mock up portfolios. I was quite anxious about it all but after they looking at people work before mine I chilled out as I knew how they thought and structured what I said to how they think in the best possible way.
One thing thing this made me notice is how different photography is between us students and them, they was telling one person to change a few things that would change the tone of his book and something us students have said to the individual that we like I know they're the "pros" but things change and they need to be on it beside we need to take their advise with a pinch of salt as we need to keep out own individual style.

So when it came to them looking at my work, they could see that i'm passionate about what I do and my influences. They could tell that colour was important to my work.
One thing was suggested that i'm not going to do is crop into one of my images and sit it along another like a triptych which at least 5 people have done this term already and the images I get overwhelmingly positive comments about from a range of people.
Another thing mentioned was couldn't identify who I was a portrait or landscape photographer because I had portraits and 5 landscape images that followed the theme of my style. I'm ignoring this because I have such a niche and own identity I wouldn't label my work a generic category with thousands of other people (I have spoke more about this in a previous post).

I think this session was alright I you want to blend in with the crowd of common photographers but if you want to be different and stand out it confused them, I feel 1 of three photographers saw what I was doing and the others were too commercial if they could see a mental corporate logo on there they didn't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment