James Cant Lecture

A lot of times at uni we get quite un-motivational lectures, much more over second year first year was pretty good, we get ones on essay writing 1 week before hand in!!!

But we had a lecture a week or 2 back and it was so refreshing, it was about research process and creative identity. At first thought yay research process we are about to get told how to use the library....again. But to my surprise it was about, what influenced James Cant our tutor and what influenced us.

James showed an illustration of a brain full of names and subject, this is what influenced him some was: Japan, parent, Cohen Brothers, Burtynsky, politics, iwitness and Philip-Lorca DiCorcia. It was intrsting to see what was influential to James and then he shown us images from the practitioners who influenced him and broke them down, why they influenced him.
He went to mention our boxes of images (mines is a folder on HDD) before we take photos or plan a project we should scatter the images around the floor pick out whats influencing us, it inspired me made me want to print my images, this is the first time I wanted to do so.

James then compared his work to the images he get inspired by braking down his images how they was influenced, the process was so easy I need to compare and contrast my images with my influences.

At the end of the lecture we had to write down what inspires us in A2 print outs of brains, I didn't put down as much as I wanted, I felt on the spot as when they get called out 50-60 student judging you.

I was so happy with the lecture I sent James a email saying how good it was, its refreshing and I'm not the only one who thought this, I was actually talking to a fellow student the night before that we want a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment