What is my work?

Julie Watai has been a big influence on me to move my direction looking to explore my interests that consist of Japanese Pop Culture. Watai is described as a anime photographer, her work consists of portraiture. because her work is inspired by anime and manga and she uses robotics, glitches and digital manipulation to create a surrealness to her images consider herself as an anime photographer.

This has made me wonder how my work fits in the industry, after a crit session with professionals one made a comment that he cant tell if I'm a portrait, fashion, or landscape photographer as I had a few night street photos in in my mock up portfolio (keeping in mind he also said he only does the work he do as it makes him money, thats all well and good but don't mention you're sell out! like have more respect and love for your work!). 
I don't consider myself as a portrait, fashion nor landscape I will get an idea from my influences and act on it, mostly my images consist of portraiture with future plans to work with other people but this is not going to stopping me from taking other images, I know other people who consider themselves as lifestyle and portraits but their images can depends on the landscape and location.

I think its important to break out of the typical traditions and develop your independence. Theres a word in Japan called denpa or denpa-kei often referred to people who are disconnected to world and people who daydream, my work comes from me daydreaming/fantasising what my images are or can be I would associate my work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment